Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Just a random thought

What you get out of something depends on how much you put into it.
Putting in that few hours a week will make an enormous difference at the end of the semester. This is something that i need to try to remember. If i just skim over a certain exercise, then it shouldn't be a surprise to me that i suck at that aspect.
This not only applies to practice, but to everything else as well. If someone asks you how you are and you reply "good" or whatever, that's all dandy, but if that is all you ever say to someone, you are not going to ever have a meaningful friendship with them.
Sorta random and i don't really know how to expand on that without going on and on, but just something that i think everyone should think about.

I'm a Harry Potter nerd and loved this. Watch, get hooked, and watch the rest of the 2 hour You-Tube Musical.

     /     \
_(I)(I)_
( _ .. _ )
`.`--'.'
) (
,-./ \,-.
( _( || || )_ )
__\ \\||--||'/ /__
`-._//||\/||\\_.-'
`--'`--'

3 comments:

  1. Random? Maybe, but true nonetheless. We need to be fully engaged with everything we do, and everyone we talk to. Too often we just go through the motions and are not really connected with the moment we are in.

    I recommend readings on Zen philosophy to further your understanding of this concept. I have some books if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about skimming through an exercise. When I was younger, I only liked to play the lyrical stuff, because I liked playing "music". I never wanted to do the technical stuff, especially scales. When I was a freshman, I had a pretty decent range, and I added on about an octave with relative ease. My lyrical playing was way ahead of my technical proficiency. For the first couple of years, I had to start new habits and force myself to play the harder, technical stuff. It gets easier the more you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why be good when you can be better

    ReplyDelete